Monday, May 28, 2012

5:30PM - Rome : Day 19


My last day in Rome was spent at the Colosseum and Roman Forum. I didn't realize my tour included both so I was quite excited. The one good thing I do have to say about tours is that you meet people. The smaller ones even more-so.

There was a group of older folks from Seattle that chatted me up and asked me all about my travels as a single gal in Europe. They asked me to lunch but later abandoned me since the cab they hailed only carried their group of 4. Nice! So I cabbed back to the Vatican area with a young Australian couple and ended up having lunch with them. It was their first time in Europe too and were just starting their journey so we were exchanging tips and stories about our travels thus far. They had another tour in the afternoon so we parted ways and I spent the afternoon getting lost, having a cappuccino, and trying out some delicious desserts at a cafe. At this point, I think it's safe to say I need to buy some bigger pants when I get back. Mama mia!

I also think it's safe to say that I'm ready to come home. As much as I tried to take advantage of my days in Rome, to be perfectly honest, I'm exhausted. After 19 fun-filled, inspirational days and 1100 photos, my ability to go at full speed day-in and day-out had been slowly waning since Florence. Living out of my suitcase is also getting a wee-bit tiresome and I am starved for good old fashioned conversation and socializing with friends and loved ones. This can only mean one thing...I had the time of my life!

Just like ancient Rome was used as a foundation for the modern Rome we know today, I would like to think that my past experiences - as well as this trip - can act as a foundation for my life moving forward. As the religious man on the metro told me, "you need a foundation in your life". Well, maybe this was it? Maybe this was my "attraversiamo" moment where I leave behind all of my past hurts and failures and start fresh? One can hope!

To be honest, I'm not really sure if anything has changed since first starting this journey (except maybe my pant size) but I definitely do feel like the clouds have been cleared away and I'm more confident in myself and my direction in life. That's definitely something!

Since I won't have much to report on coming home, this post marks the last one until the next trip. I have a 5am start so it'll be an early night for me.

Thanks so much for joining me along the way. I hope you have enjoyed the updates as much as I have enjoyed sharing them. See you all when I get back.

Ciao amici!

No comments:

Post a Comment