Monday, March 19, 2012

All Aboard!

They say the devil is in the details but what they don't tell you is sometimes, as much as you plan and sift through those details, that devil cannot be avoided.

When booking my train reservations this past week, I found out the Barcelona to Milan night train was no longer available due to a change in schedule. My only option would be to take multiple day trains to get to Milan, transferring in cities like Figueres, Valence, Lyon, and then on to Milan. Being a tad bit upset I had to give up a day of sightseeing in Barcelona, my curious side wonders what a 12-hour train ride will offer. I get to stop in some cities I've never heard of and take in some of the sights and sounds there - if only for an hour.

This twist in plans is a bit ironic given my "place" in life right now. I have to weave my way through these unexpected and unfamiliar places in order to get to the other side. No one can do that for me or even tell me how to get there - I have to do it all my own and find my own way. I have to let go and let the flow of life take me to that place I need to be.

You see this whole concept of "letting go" has always been a challenge for me since I like to pursue and be pro-active, so I can achieve the goals I set out for myself and to not get thrown off balance in the process of doing so. But life is ever-changing and as it continues to evolve, I realize that there are some moments (maybe more than I realize), you just can't prepare for or control, as much as you want to. In those moments you have two choices: to scream and resist what you can't control, or let go and see where it takes you; To be open to the adventure, the lessons to be learned, and the new opportunities that await.

As William Shedd says,
"A ship in a harbour is safe,
but that is not what ships are built for.
"

So all aboard this crazy train and let's chart the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment